Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day

I am not as principled a gardener as I should be, but one rule of thumb I like is to plant your first batch of potatoes in March, on St. Patrick's Day.  Well, that didn't happen this year.  Instead, we awoke to a fresh new six inches of snow.  The kids have had so many snow days this winter, they may not start summer break until July.

The seedlings are overgrowing their trays under artificial light indoors as the ground outside is still frozen.  But, it gets better.  This morning I got a call out of the blue from the farm store announcing that our new chickens have arrived and are ready for pick up.  These are the same birds we ordered last fall but never arrived.

Not much to report today about the garden.  No potatoes, but at least we have a glut of chicken.  I hope these pullets mark the arrival of spring.  Cheers!


Pullets are 20-week hens that are about to start laying.



No comments:

Post a Comment